This simple tagine is packed full of big flavours and counts as 2 portions of your 5-a-day!
For the vegetable tagine
- Red onion 1, chopped
- Garlic 2 cloves, chopped
- Olive oil 1 tbsp.
- Ground cumin ½ tsp
- Ground coriander ½ tsp
- Ground cinnamon ½ tsp
- Red pepper 1, seeded and chopped
- Courgette 1, chopped
- Aubergine 1, chopped
- Tomatoes 4, chopped
- Chickpeas 400g tin, rinsed and drained
- Low salt vegetable stock 250ml
- Harissa 2 tbsp
- Prunes 4, pitted and sliced
- Flat-leaf parsley chopped to serve
- Steamed couscous to serve.
For the couscous
- 200g of couscous
- 1 lemon, juiced.
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large frying pan
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, until the onions are soft
- Add the spices (cumin, coriander and cinnamon) and cook for a minute until fragrant
- Add all of the chopped vegetables and cook for 8-10 minutes. They should be coated in the spices and start to take on some colour
- Add the chickpeas, stock, harissa paste and prunes
- Add a little black pepper if desired
- Turn the heat down and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the vegetables are soft
- Tip the couscous into a large bowl and pour over 400mls of boiled water. Cover and leave for 10 mins until fluffy and all the water has been absorbed
- Use a fork to fluff up the couscous. Add a generous squeeze of lemon juice
- Serve up the couscous onto each plate and then add the vegetable tagine mix
- Scatter over the parsley
- Tuck in and enjoy!
By Georgia Leech