Early Start Volunteer - Parent Champion Programme
Would you like to gain / increase your understanding of the early years?
Do you want to acquire new skills, enhance your CV or perhaps boost your self-confidence by providing and promoting services to the local community?
If so, join the Early Start Volunteer – Parent Champion Programme!
Scroll down for more information
Currently all places are full
Information Before You Start Your Application
Our Early Start Volunteers / Best Start in Life Champions support the delivery of play services to families in the London Borough of Newham and are matched and placed in a Children’s Centre, or Newham based early years project.
You will be volunteering alongside a qualified and experienced early years practitioner, supporting the delivery of stay and play sessions (for parents and their children from birth to age five).
Volunteering as a Best Start in Life Champion is the perfect opportunity for you if you’re considering a role working with children under five. You’ll gain experience in child development and early education whilst “giving back” to your local community and supporting local families.
Ongoing support will be provided throughout the training leading up to your placement in a setting. Once you’re placed you will be allocated an experienced member of staff to mentor you.
Take a read of our role description here
We ask you to commit to a minimum of three hour sessions per week, once you have completed our training programme and clearance checks.
Your training programme includes;
- Induction to Volunteering (online based)
- Level One Safeguarding
- Early Years Foundation Stage Briefing (online based)
- Five to Thrive (early brain development) Briefing (online based)
- Oral Health Promotion Workshop (online based)
What do I need to become an Early Start Volunteer - Parent Champion
- Be a Newham resident
- Be eligible to work in the United Kingdom
- Attend an informal interview / meeting
- Commit to attending the training sessions
- Complete with us a Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) – Criminal Records Check (free to Newham volunteers) Or already have a cleared DBS which is registered on the update service.
- Complete a Childcare Disqualification Declaration
- One professional reference
- Be enthusiastic and passionate about early education and building community resilience