This group aims to make parenting children with disabilities easier. Stepping Stones refers to children who have developmental delay and also children who have sensory or physical disabilities. The programme offers suggestions and ideas on positive parenting to help you promote your child’s development.
There is no one right way to be a parent or carer. It is up to each of us to decide what values and skills we would like our children to have and how to teach them . Ultimately, you as a parent need to develop your own approach to dealing with misbehaviour. Stepping Stones has been helpful for many parents and can give you useful ideas to help you meet the challenges of raising a child with a disability.
During your group sessions you will watch segments of A Survival Guide for families with a child who has a disability, with step by step explanations and demonstrations of a variety of parenting strategies. Groups are active and trying things at home means you get more out of the programme.
Six x 2 hour sessions and two x 20 minute telephone call
- Session 1: Introduction and pre evaluation
- Session 2: Positive parenting
- Session 3: Teaching new skills and behaviours
- Session 4: Promoting children’s development
- Session 5: Managing misbehaviour and parenting routines
- Session 6: Planning Ahead
- Session 7 & 8 telephone consultation : Implementing parenting routines 1-2
- Session 9: Programme close and completion of post evaluation
We are still offering non classroom based groups with limited availability. The next available group is:
Tuesdays 3rd November - 6th January 12:30pm - 2:30pm - via Zoom
Thursdays 5th November - 17th December - 10am - 12pm - via Zoom
Thursdays 14th January - 25th February - 10am - 12pm - via Zoom
Please complete a referral and a member of our team will be in touch and inform you of alternative support.