As parents and carers we have all experienced a baby who has become over-tired and needs particular help to calm down. In theses testing and stressful times, bear in mind some of these top tips.
- Think about the space you are in. Keep loud noises to a minimum, the room warm, and soften the lighting. Try introducing gentle soothing music like baby lullabies.
- Cuddle your baby as much as you like. A cuddle helps release oxytocin a special chemical which is produced through skin to skin contact. Oxytocin is known a the ‘love drug’ a feel good hormone which is amazing for your babies growing brain.
- Try ending exciting and active play with some one to one time, where you and your baby can enjoy a bit of calm.
- Make sure you are relaxed! If you have ever been to one of my classes, you would have heard me talking about the importance of looking after yourself as a parent and taking time to relax. Babies and young children pick up on the emotions of others, so if they sense you are stressed they may become stressed themselves – Remember you have to look after yourself if you want to look after a baby.
- Sing or hum if you are getting stressed, this will help you to relax and is very soothing for the baby.
- Try a little massage. It’s good to learn a couple of simple strokes so you can massage your baby when they need it. – Use gentle circular rubbing in a clockwise direction, on your baby’s stomach, can help a baby with wind or constipation.
I hope you find these top tips helpful. Early Start Learn offers a range of courses that inform and empower parents and carers; you can view them here!