Tell us something nice you have done for yourself recently! A question parents – who have attended our parenting classes – knows only too well. This week is mental health awareness week and the focus is Kindness. As a team – your well-being is paramount. In each of our parenting programme session we practice showing kindness to ourselves and ways to maintain it. With that being said here are some tips from Triple P on dealing with those uncomfortable feelings and emotions:
- pay attention to your emotions and your thoughts
- take a break from interacting with family members if you are not in control of your emotions (e.g. you might say I’m feeling upset at the moment and I can’t be as calm as I would like in this conversation. So I’m going to sit in my bedroom and read for 10 minutes to give myself a chance to settle down
- talk to supportive friends and family
- deep breathing
- practising mindfulness
- singing, dancing, gardening and drawing.
- Keep healthy and safe (good personal hygiene, exercise daily, eat well, get enough sleep, avoid using alcohol or drugs to lessen stress).
- Avoid behaviour that might increase your stress
If you have tried the above and still concerned about your mental wellbeing then seek advice or support from your GP (or a professional known to you). You may also want to consider taping into one of the many resources in UK for mental health support.
- Find your local NHS urgent mental health helpline (England Only) by clicking here
- Child & Adult Mental Health Service: CAMHS Duty Team 0208 430 9000 (Newham Only) (Mon – Fri 10am – 4pm)
- Rethink: advice and information line open Monday to Friday, 10am-2pm, for practical advice on: your rights under the Mental Health Act. Different types of therapy and medication, benefits, debt, money issues, police, courts, prison. Call Rethink on 0300 5000 927 or visit the website here
- Shout: for support in a crisis, Text Shout to85258. If you’re experiencing a personal crisis, are unable to cope and need support.
Your well-being matters to us all year round!