We couldn’t be happier that December is finally upon us. Here at Early Start we really get into the Christmas spirit and have been busy this week making Christmassy creations for our #SantasLittleHelpers campaign. The aim of our Christmas campaign is to provide both early years settings and parents with simple fun ideas that promote good nutrition and physical activity over the festive period. If you haven’t already, follow us on Twitter (insert link to Twitter page) to keep track of what’s behind each of our advent calendar doors…
In this weeks blog we bring you a step by step guide to one of our favourite Christmas creations so far- Super Scrumptious Stars.
- Star shaped biscuit cutters or any other Christmassy shape, such as snowflakes, Santa or snowmen
- Baking tray
- A fish slice or flat topped utensil
- Serving plate
- Small bowl
- White or wholemeal tortilla wraps (a mix of the two is good!). You could also use pitta bread
- Mild Paprika
1. Place a tortilla wrap onto a flat surface and use the sharper side of the biscuit cutter to stamp out each shape. Let the children choose the shapes they would like and get them involved in cutting them out. Tip: Try to space them close together so you don’t waste much of the wrap.
2. Lay the cut out starts into a baking tray
3. Put the tray of stars under the oven grill on medium heat for a few minutes until they start to toast. Tip: keep checking the tortilla wraps as they can go from lightly toasted to burnt very quickly!
4. Carefully remove the tray from the oven using oven gloves and place on a heat proof surface
5. Using a fish slice, or other flat topped utensil, carefully remove each star from the tray and place onto the serving plate
6. Lightly sprinkle the mild paprika onto the stars to add extra flavour
7. Spoon the hummus into a small bowl and place in the centre of your serving dish
8. Allow children to help themselves to this snack. Encourage them to spoon some of the hummus onto a plate and use the stars for dipping! This is a good way of encouraging self service and self feeding
If you create our Super Scrumptious Stars don’t forget to Tweet or send us a picture of your creation and use the #SantasLittleHelpers hashtag!