Physical activity has a number of health benefits for children, such as increasing muscle and bone strength, improved health and fitness, better quality of sleep and maintenance of a healthy weight. The Department of Health Guidelines advise that children under 5, who are capable of walking, are active for at least 3 hours a day.
We want your setting to get creative and plan an exciting activity for the children in your care that will encourage them to be physically active. The more fun and imaginative the better!
Aim- the aim of your activity should be to promote:
- Physical activity amongst children in your setting, linking in with the families and staff
- Link in with criteria point 4 of the Health Award.
‘Staff understand the importance of physical activity and encourage children in the setting to be active.’ Refer to the Early Years Foundation Stage Statutory Framework. 1.5.
What We Would Like to See:
- Creativity and imagination in promoting physical activity in your setting
- How you encourage all staff and children to get involved
- How you encourage families to continue activity at home
- Fun and enjoyable activities/ groups/ sessions!
- Develop a short session plan – with step by step instructions of running your activity/ group/ session
- Ensure the activity is appropriate for the age range of the children you care for
- Have fun and don’t forget to take pictures of your activity
- Sports day for children, staff and parents (relay race, sack race, egg and spoon race, hoping race)
- Mini obstacle course
- Whole setting walk
- Mini football game
- Dance party
- Change4Life 10 minutes shake up https://www.nhs.uk/10-minute-shake-up/shake-ups#jPWY2DjxE1hfFDoM.97
How to Enter:
The competition is open to Children Centre’s, Nurseries and Childminders. Please submit your entry to email@example.com by Friday 2nd June and title it ‘Wellbeing and Nutrition Team- Physical Activity Competition’.
The winner will receive our physical activity basket, full of goodies that will encourage children to be active all year round, including: skipping rope, hoops, bean bags, balls. We will also provide you with lots of resources to help promote physical activity in your setting and support you to create/ update a display board.