An Introduction to the Wellbeing and Nutrition Team
Edwina Revel, RNutr and Georgia Leech, ANutr are Registered Nutritionists with the Association for Nutrition (AfN). Qualified and competent in nutritional science and practicing at a professional level. We are passionate about our profession and the importance of seeking evidence based nutrition advice from a registered professional. We encourage you to look out for post-nominal letters RNutr or ANutr when receiving nutrition support.
What we stand for:
Good nutrition and healthy eating is important for everyone. It is especially important in the early years as research shows a strong connection between the early eating habits and future eating habits of individuals. Highlighting the important of getting it right early on in a child’s life.
Working as nutritionists in the community across early years settings, our role can be varied but enjoyable. Luckily we have the opportunity to work with a range of professionals and families ensuring key nutrition messages are taken forward in a positive way.
On arriving at our office we have a catch up to consider our priorities for the day ahead. This may include correspondence with nursery settings or childminders regarding our training or award scheme. If we are delivering training to staff we ensure all our resources are in place to provide a practical teaching session to those in attendance. There may be times when we visit a nursery setting to review how they implement nutrition standards in practice. This is a great opportunity to interact with staff and children and ensure we are responsive to their needs. To ensure we deliver evidence based advice we take time to review policies and national guidelines and reflect this across our services. A big part of our role is the development of a range of nutrition materials. We are passionate about providing professionals and parents with practical advice in a format that is easy to understand through our information leaflets, blogs and training programmes. An overview of our role can be seen in the table below.
With the growing number of unqualified celebrities/nutritionist/nutrition advisors providing nutrition advice and endorsement of fad diets, consumers need protection! Please sign and share this petition to ensure there is increased awareness of Registered Nutritionists, like Edwina and Georgia, to ensure the government takes action to make ‘Nutritionist’ a legally protected title
Edwina and Georgia thoughts on working as Registered Nutritionists
- Translating evidence based information into easy to understand practical tips for parents
- Harnessing practitioners passion for good food, cooking and nutrition
- Getting to dispel some of the common myths and misconceptions around child and infant nutrition
- We love working with different professionals who share our passion for making a difference to families and children in the community
- It’s really encouraging knowing the work we do contributes to the health and wellbeing on children
- The variety of public health projects is fantastic and it’s nice to be involved in the development, roll out and analysis of them
- It’s really encouraging seeing settings adapt their menus to fall in line with national guidance